Keeping a car up and running for years to come is easier in today’s world than ever before. Still, there are some things you can do to ensure your car lasts as long as possible. Here are 10 tips to make your used car last longer!
- Maintain – The most obvious way to make your used car last longer is to properly maintain it. The oil and oil filter need changed on a regular basis but don’t forget about the other fluids and filters. Forgetting to change the brake fluid, for example, can lead to a totaled car.
- Cool – The oil plays a role in keeping your car cool so be sure to attend to it regularly. The cooling system and coolant level should be maintained as well. If the engine gets too hot, it can literally melt.
- Pressure – It can be easy to wave the tires off as something you can attend to later. Even so, make sure the tires are properly inflated. Doing so will increase the car’s fuel economy and offer improved handling and safety.
- Warning – Keep an eye on the dashboard warning lights. Catching sight of a warning light or gauge is the easiest way to spot a problem.
- Tune Up – Whether it’s a dealership or private mechanic, have your car checked up on every year or so to ensure it’s in proper working order.
- Cover – Parking in a garage or under a cover will help preserve your car’s paint, ensuring it looks good on the road for years to come.
- Clean – Regularly washing and waxing your car can help slow or completely stop cosmetic damage. Don’t forget the interior!
- Drive – Having a lead foot is one way to drive while practicing good driving habits is another. The latter will reduce the amount of wear and tear and fuel used while on the road.
- Schedule – Check your owner’s manual for the manufacturer-suggested maintenance schedule. Following it is your best bet to an odometer with six digits.
- Inspect – Take a few minutes out of your day to walk around your car. Look for dings, dents, scratches, and other problems. Look closely at the tires and open the hood to see if you can spot any obvious problems.
If you want any more Used Car tips, stop by Pollard Used Cars in Lubbock, TX and we will help you out.